Friday, March 6, 2009

The drunken food critic


Ok, so last night my hubby & I went down town on our own 1 "date night" to get some dinner. (Desert would come later if I can get the batteries from someone who has them charging- and I am NOT pointing fingers-BUT YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!!)
Anyway, we ended up at a place called Matts Casbah.
We sit down and start looking at the menu options........ Appetizer: One Tuna Tostada. I honestly thought I was walking through the pearly gates it was so good. I had the same reaction that Bill Murray did in the movie "What About Bob" when he was invited to stay at his therapists house for dinner and with every bite he would go "MMMMMMMMMMMMM" or "AHHHHHHHH" "WOW" You know, it seemed like a very erotic pleasure the way he was reacting. THAT is how I felt with that tostada. Imagine if you will, a light corn round topped with seared tuna, avocado, tomatos, cilantro and some mango mayo sauce......... It was sooooooooo delish!!!!!! (thank you Kris for teching me how to enjoy my food, and thank you the realization that smoking causes cancer for making me quit smoking so that I now CAN taste it and enjoy it!!)
I ordered to drink a glass of red wine. (The new meal plan I am on states you should have a glass of red wine every night with dinner as it helps prevent heart disease-the #1 killer in women) SO I DID. I dont know what kind of wine it was, but the one glass I had left me feeling it!!!! Back to my story. I am drinking my wine and enjoying the basket of pita bread and my tostada and awaited my main course. A lime chile covered garlic roasted pompano whole fish. Did you catch that? Cause I surely didn't..... I ordered a WHOLE FISH. heeeeeee heeeeeeeeee
The waiter brings us our food and I swear he placed an entire serving platter in front of me....... I asked him if he really could have found a bigger dish becasue it was just too small. Hee giggled, I giggled,,,,,,,,, I thought it was an ingenius comment to make at that point. Now looking back I am thinking it was the wine talking........... I looked down at my dinner and wanted to cry. (see figure A posted above)
I am staring down this fish. Head. Tail. Fins. The whole friggin fish. I honestly did not know how to eat it....... I take my fork and just start ripping through it. It too I must say was excellent. My husband wont eat fish and HE liked it. OK- so I am done with side one and look at Lance "Do I flip it over on this plate by its tail? I really don't know how to eat it." He looks at me, looks at the fish and simply replies "GO FOR IT."
off point for a second- sometimes, don't you LOVE to be underdressed. To play a role of the backwoods no class person that everyone looks at while their eating, in disgust. The girl who laughs the loudest and always wears jeans? YUP THAT WAS US!!!! It was a trip!!!!
So, I flip this fish over and begin scraping away at side two......... MMMMMMMM just as good as side one. The combo of the lime, and the garlic on such a mild.....eck....eckkk..... blech...eck eck I start gaging. Literally GAGGING. I thought I was gonna throw up right there at the table........ There was a hair bone floating around in my mouth that i couldnt find....... You know that feeling when theres a hair in your mouth you just cant get to....it makes you gag.... YUP. NOT only are we in jeans and laughing loudly at our on little conversation- i spit this bite of fish out into my napkin, take it out of the napkin and pile it under the head of the fish like his very own little self pillow...... I sure hope he appreciated it.
I even named him Ted. Before I ate I thanked ted for dying for me. And let him know it was much appreciated!!!!!
So there you go, my review of last nights dinner. Hair bone details and all.........
till next time
xo xo
M OUT

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love Matt’s and have done the erotic-song-chew you speak of many times while eating there. Pompano is one of my favorite fish and I adore that whole fish dish you ordered. I am so proud of you for ordering it and for “going for it”!

    ReplyDelete